The yipitty yikes yipitty yikes of life


Isn't it amazing how many times a day we swing from the yipee branch to the yikes one on the tree of life? More so when you are a parent - it's an emotional, sometimes hormonal, rollercoaster and they say it is entirely normal............ alright then!

Friday, July 20, 2012

Grey matter


Short on time tonight, so will get straight to the point -  Growing older has its perks.
Oh yes, it does too!
 As I was looking for something to read tonight, I came across something that hit home right away. Wham! It literally knocked the breath out of me. 
"Truth is best served by recognizing a viewpoint as only a viewpoint, and refraining from taking that extra step of regarding it as true to the exclusion of all other views. In other words, all views—even correct views—are best held gently, rather than grasped firmly."
I have been guilty of wanting the world to see some things my way and dealt with disappointment when my goldmine was not regarded as hot property by all and sundry. The classic "how can you not see what I see here" syndrome - to the point of turning a cold shoulder on a handful of very dear people in my life. 
Time, and some other very dear and wiser souls, have slowly made me realise that everyone's viewpoint is correct from where they stand, based on life experiences, upbringing, etc. 
I am learning to laugh at my earlier zeal. 
My convictions are still strong and I stand by them. But I now see the wisdom of going about things quietly and, hopefully as still more time goes by, with grace. 
Total gratitude happening here - to all those people and moments (even the ones with the bitter aftertaste) - for bringing me where I am and teaching me the true meaning of tolerance and acceptance. 
Heavy stuff eh? And I have paid the price - more than a few grey on this hothead ;-) - Maybe I should give up on hair colour and display the grey matter with pride.
Yeah right!..... like I am ready to give up the right to a little vanity....hah! Wisdom in small doses please.....






4 comments:

Hathi patani (the pea sized elephant) said...

A friend posed a question on FB - what is your definition / idea of success? Many many people responded and each one's view was unique and personal.... There are as many viewpoints as there are people... Got it hathi patani? ;-)

Jandy said...

You've reached a level of practising what you preach, hathi patani, that many of us just endeavour to. Fantastic post. Wise, mature and generous.

Ira Diddee said...

Such bold and heartfelt words!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only you could do it.....

Hathi patani (the pea sized elephant) said...

Thanks Jandy and Ira :) - gotta grow up sometime.... and better do it before my kids do!!